Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cayenne

So I got into Cayenne on Tuesday. I thought it would be much more difficult to get from Paramaribo to French Guiana but it wasn't at all. I was able to take a group taxi from the Guesthouse Amice to the Surinamese border, which ended up being about 3 hours or so. I managed to meet two really nice French ladies in my Surinamese taxi who gave me a (free!) ride from St. Laurent to Cayenne, which was pleasant and saved me a lot of money.

The trip across the Maroni River in a pirogue was pleasant and rather fast (and only cost 4 euros) and St. Laurent was absolutely gorgeous. The water in the Maroni is clear, which makes St. Laurent that much prettier. As soon as I saw St. Laurent I was uber jealous of the assistants that get to live there (Hi Kathleen, Jama and Lara!).

I also saw the cities Sinnamary and Iracoubo - both are beautiful and quiet and very calm. Actually, everything is beautiful here. It was quite a headache figuring out how to get here and getting my visas for France and Suriname, but so far it really seems worth it. Driving from St. Laurent to Iracoubo we had to stop so two monkeys could cross the road - it was amazing. I am waiting to see some sloths, though. I want that to happen soon.

Cayenne is also wonderful so far. We, all fourteen of us, are all staying at the Maison de l'Education de Cayenne, which was a little difficult to find but thankfully, we did end up finding it. Sadly, no appliances work there so we can't cook (but we can make coffee!) but there is a shower and air conditioning in our room so I'm grateful for that. Right now we don't really know what's going on and are just all sort of wandering around Cayenne, but that's working out pretty well.

Sadly, I haven't taken any pictures yet because I feel overstimulated and overcaffeinated but Cayenne looks like tropical, small town France. There are pharmacies everywhere. And a Leader Price. And clearly I found wi-fi. I haven't seen chez moi, Matoury, yet but that should be happening this weekend (ou bien?). On verra.

Pictures soon? Once I stop drinking so much coffee and staring at things. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment